Oct 13, 2019
This week, Car Con Carne crosses over with the "Make Us a
Mixtape" podcast, hosted by comedians Paul Faravhar and Marty
DeRosa. The premise is simple: Their weekly guest makes them a
5-song mixtape and they collectively talk about the tape, song by
song. I chose "Chicago music" as my theme. Here's what we talked
about this week, over food from Big & Littles:
- Paul says Portillo's makes the best Chicago burger. Marty:
"(Picking Portillo's as the best) is a coward's move."
- The art of crafting a mixtape.
- The tyranny of "Make Us a Mixtape"s rules.
- Guilty pleasures: Are they bullshit?
- How do you eat your food? One item at a time?
- My love of Kuma's.
- My first playlist created for this episode, which was
- The quintessential Chicago band when I was young: Naked
- The appeal of "album play" concerts.
- Paul doesn't know his Adam Ant history. I assigned him
- The 90s in Chicago music.
- Paul blames record companies for shitty music.
- Indie rock is alive and well in Chicago.
- Guitars are alive and well in Chicago.
- James: "I hate Lollapalooza." Paul (shocked): "WHY?"
- Paul likes going to Lollapalooza to hang out in the VIP
- Paul: "Do you remember the band Live?" James: (inaudible eye
- "I know a lot of recovering Limp Bizkit fans"
- The charm of AM Taxi, and their emergence from the suburban
- The best concert I ever saw... it was a whiiiiiiile ago.
- Paul thought mosh pits started in the 90s.
- Metro is clearly the best rock club.
- I wasn't young enough or punk enough for Fireside shows.
- The legacy of Wesley Willis.
- Rock over London, Rock on Chicago!
- Paul made a post-break-up mix tape for an ex. Marty and I
understand that as being a fucked up move.
- Counting Crows completely fucking suck.
- Paul: "You have to admit that at the time, (Counting Crows)...
" Me: "No." Paul: "They were the biggest thing.... " James: