May 21, 2019
Julia Nash and husband Mark Skillicorn join me this week to talk
about their superb documentary film,"Industrial Accident: The Story
of Wax Trax! Records."
The cultural contributions of Wax Trax! can't be measured (nor
can I adequately summarize them here). The best I can do is share
some descriptive words about the store and label: Groundbreaking,
dangerous, liberating, inclusive, edgy, pulsating, throbbing,
relentless... what were we talking about again?
Julia is more than qualified to have written and directed the
documentary; she's the daughter of late Wax Trax! co-owner Jim
- The history of Wax Trax! Records (the store and the label) and
its celebrated co-owners, Jim Nash and Dannie Flesher.
- What was it like growing up around Wax Trax!?
- The "Retrospectacle" 3-day event at Metro that first gave Julia
a hint of how big the Wax Trax! footprint was.
- TVT Records and the end of Wax Trax!
- The fundamental differences between Nash and Dannie ("You need
that balance; you need that excitement").
- How important was Ministry to Wax Trax!?
- Is Chris Connelly the Wax Trax! MVP?
- The mainstream artists in the documentary who voice their love
and appreciation for Wax Trax!, including Dave Grohl and Trent
- The super cool Wax Trax! Black Box set and Trent Reznor's
- Julia Nash is now the "Indiana Jones" of industrial music.
- Where does Julia go to next with the Wax Trax! brand?
- What would Jim have thought about having a documentary made
about Wax Trax!?
Car Con Carne is presented by The Autobarn Mazda of Evanston.