Aug 27, 2018
Tom Higgenson of Plain White Ts joined me for a long overdue
catchup. And for this episode, we went for burritos at Los Burritos
#2 in his old stomping grounds of Villa Park. We talked at length
about the band's excellent new release, "Parallel Universe," as
- Villa Park is like primordial soup.
- How important are the ties back to Chicago as the band
continues to take over the world? "I'm such a suburban kid...
always have been."
- "Parallel Universe," and the experimentation the band did with
the songs for the album.
- Is Tom a "romantic" at heart? ("I used to be 'all in'...
- Tom snuck a peak at the interview notes, and was given an
- The hints of darkness that weave their way through PWTs
- My favorite song on the new album: "Top of the World"
- "Bonnie I Want You": It's not about a hooker (much to my
- The band's commitment to video-making (and their incredible
success with it).
- The video for "1, 2, 3, 4" and its coming-together of romantic
spirit, Chicago scenery and DIY approach.
- The much-rumored TV show based on the Grammy-nominated super
huge megahit "Hey There Delilah" ("We've got this story arc...
we've got this idea").
- The whirlwind that engulfed the band when "Hey There Delilah"
- The band's performance on "iCarly" and the relative awesomeness
of that show compared to other tween shows on Nick and Disney.
- The band's early days in the suburbs: Truly the "good old
- Tom's nomination for a Tony Award ("BFF" from Spongebob
Squarepants: The Broadway Musical).
- The evolution of Plain White Ts: "It's been a weird one."