May 5, 2018
This week finds me interviewing AIWA USA Chairman Joe Born, a
brilliant business leader, inventor and creative mind who I also
happened to graduate high school with. In this episode, sponsored
by Boost Mobile, we shared a Taco Tuesday at El Carrito (6019 N
Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60659) and talked about:
- "We've known each other for literal decades."
- Joe's 90s invention, "The Skip Doctor."
- The notion of entrepreneurship, from raising capital to
commitment: This shit is hard.
- The Foremost Liquors next to El Carrito and its involvement in
our high school years.
- My go-to? Old City Grocery on Devon Avenue.
- Joe's memory of me in high school? Accidentally punching me in
- My memory of Joe in high school? A brooding, earnest
- Why I missed the most recent gathering of old high school
- "Life as an entrepreneur is just not routine."
- Working in an office is accurately portrayed by "Dilbert."
- How did Joe come to take over AIWA? (When we were kids, the
Born family didn't run AIWA.)
- Best Rush album? I steer Joe to his answer.
- The magnificent AIWA Exos-9, and the importance of creating a
real home stereo experience with a Bluetooth speaker.
- Does AIWA have a birthday club?
- Why does Spoon sound like Billy Joel?
- Joe shares an AIWA product on the podcast, and a way to get in
early on AIWA product development.
- I make Joe repeat the high school punching story.
- AIWA Labs: It's not just dogs.