Feb 5, 2019
Iconic goth D.J. Scary Lady Sarah joins me for vegan food at
Upton's Breakroom (2054 W Grand Ave, Chicago, IL 60612). We talked
about her evolution as a DJ, goth music and music curation as we
devoured a truly fantastic meat-free dinner.
See Scary Lady Sarah at "Nocturna: New Loves & Broken Hearts
Ball" (Saturday, February 16 at Metro).Discussed this week:
- Tahini shakes at Upton's: I'd have one every day if I
- The birth of Scary Lady Sarah's celebrated "Nocturna" club
night ("it's primarily a goth night").
- How punk rock led into post punk into goth for Sarah.
- How music discovery has evolved, and its pros and cons.
- The crucial role of music curators today.
- How Sarah's music fanaticism led her to learn to D.J.
- The goth subculture and its visual aesthetic.
- The much-anticipated Nocturna book!
- Sarah's band, Bellwether Syndicate. She had to learn how to
play in order to be in the band!
Car Con Carne is presented by The Autobarn Mazda of
Special thanks this week to Natalie Slater and Upton's