Feb 27, 2018
Chicago actor Mickey O'Sullivan jumps in
the car for diner food from his favorite place, The Golden Apple
(2971 N. Lincoln). I was lucky to steal time with Mickey, he's
super busy these days playing "Chef Dan" on "The Chi" on Showtime.
Related: GREAT SHOW. Watch
In this Boost Mobile-sponsored episode, we talk about:
- Mutual friend Anthony from Black Bear Rodeo, a fabulous Oak
Lawn-based band (Spartans represent!)
- The important role Golden Apple's played in Mickey's life.
- Mickey used to live out of his Jeep. Literally. "Times are
tough for working actors."
- Sparky's diner in Skokie: "They have not reinvested into the
- I got the Monte Cristo. I didn't see it on the menu, but diner
rules say Golden Apple had to have one.
- WHY DID I ORDER FRENCH ONION SOUP? WHO EATS FRENCH ONION SOUP
IN A CAR? And why is the soup so delicious? "This is the
Golden Apple, baby. Everything's delicious."
- "The Chi" and Mickey's character, Chef Dan. Is Chef Dan a jerk?
"Chef Dan's all about getting the best out of his employees."
- "The Chi": Explained and broken down. "It shows the whole
community and it shows the family that lives next door."
- We're Columbia College alums!
- My time teaching at Columbia.
- Mickey's TV wife, Kristina Emerson. Maybe they should get
married in real life.
- What's in a Monte Cristo (a fried ham and cheese sandwich, a variation
of the French croque-monsieur)?
And why am I not a ******* Monte Cristo expert?
- How did Mickey get on "The Chi?"
- Mickey's comedic training.
- Our not-so-good Michael Shannon stories. Michael Shannon is THE
- O'Sullivan's upcoming film "Captive State," starring John
Goodman. John Goodman is also THE MAN.
- How important is it to diet when you play a chef on TV?
- Mickey's advice for up-and-coming Chicago actors: "It has to be
Mickey's the coolest, and this episode is a great way to become
familiar with him and his work. And please, do yourself a favor and
check out "The Chi" when you're done listening to this episode.
Thanks also to Mike Sanow for hanging out for this episode!