Apr 27, 2018
This week takes Car Con Carne to Palatine for the
exceptional-beyond-words, I swear I'm not exaggerating, amazing
Chicago Culinary Kitchen (773 N. Quentin Road Palatine, IL
Chicago Culinary Kitchen owners Greg and Kristine Gaardbo take
turns sitting shotgun (the car is a little tight). And in the
backseat, I was fortunate to be joined by Destroya Montoya and
Smashley Pumpkins from Chicago roller derby league The Outfit (see
the home opener on May 5!). Here's what we covered in this episode
sponsored by Boost Mobile:
- Call me... Maimy Schumer.
- The menacing "El Jefe" sandwich (menacing *and*
- I'm not tattooed because I'm hairy.
- My growing beard ("chicks dig beards").
- Could Chicago Culinary Kitchen host roller derby? Maybe. In the
- What are the rules of roller derby? ("I think it's kind of like
WWF, on wheels.")
- The best steak I've ever had was consumed during the recording
of this podcast: A 30-day dry-aged, 40 oz. Tomahawk steak ("The Big
Hoss"). And yes... I ATE THE WHOLE DAMN THING.
- The beauty of curbside steak service.
- Steak is cooked to a perfect medium rare. Don't even think
about asking for it any other way.
- How does "dry aging" work? And what's "wet aging?"
- Greg has the legs for a skirt and heels.
- Preparation of the "steak alibi."
- Chicago Culinary Kitchen carries a stunning 130+ craft
- "I'm covered in blood and goodness."
- The birth of Chicago Culinary Kitchen, and how it ended up in a
non-descript strip mall in Palatine.
- The buzz behind the restaurant is totally legit.
- "It smells very meaty in here."
- Kristina's extensive, super-knowledgable, beer background.
- "Every day is Professional Development Day."
- Kristina gets tempted to join the Outfit.
- Shower beers are healing beers.