Feb 19, 2018
Manny's Deli (1141 S. Jefferson) is on a short list of legit,
honest-to-goodness, Chicago food institutions. A classic deli
operation that's been running since the end of World War II,
Manny's remains a go-to for all three meals and a destination for
local and national politicians.
Co-owner Dan Raskin joins me to talk about Manny's this week.
Discussed on this episode:
- My history with Manny's, from trips with my grandparents to
taking my own kids the restaurant.
- Manny's history in Chicago.
- What's allowed Manny's to endure?
- Has Manny's scared other delis away?
- Dan's philosophy on taking interview opportunities, and why it
all goes back to Oprah.
- Did Dan even have a choice to not go into the family
- The hardest part of running Manny's? Time management.
- The "relentless onslaught of beef" that Manny's provides.
- The delicious latkes. Gotta have both sour cream and
- President Obama's visit to Manny's.
- President Clinton's visit to Manny's.
- Why politicians meet at Manny's.
- Good and bad people have been to Manny's, but when they're
eating there they never cause problems.
- The "Comedians in Cars" recording at Manny's with Jerry
Seinfeld and Steve Harvey.
- What's the difference between corned beef and pastrami?
- Prep starts at midnight!
- Manny's expansion project, opening up the dining room and the
creation of the deli area.
- Best part of day-to-day operations?
- Manny's is in Costco! Manny's is in Costco!
- What happened to Manny's at Midway Airport?
This week's show is lovingly sponsored by Boost Mobile.