Jan 17, 2018
This week, it's a trip to Berwyn (said in the best possible
Svengoolie voice) for amazing food from Big Guys Sausage Stand. I'm
joined by peerless food writer Mike Gebert (owner and
editor-in-chief of Fooditor, author of The Fooditor 99:
Where To Eat and What To Eat There) and Big Guy's owner
We recorded right before Christmas, when Big Guy's seasonal
sausage was the "Rudolph Sausage": Yes, a holiday-themed venison
sausage that was unbelievably delicious.
On this Boost Mobile-sponsored episode, we discuss:
- Mike's written lovingly about Big Guy's and reinforces that
fact in the podcast: "The best heir to Hot Doug's is this place
- Why is twice-cooking essential to fries?
- The Big Guys' burger: "It's got some girth."
- At roughly 10 minutes in, I inexplicably start calling Brendan
"Brandon." Don't ask me why.
- Brendan's (winning) battle with cancer.
- "If you own a restaurant and you get sick, you're kinda
- Of the restaurant's previous late-night hours:"The Berwyn
after-hours crowd was not that attractive."
- The Fooditor 99: What's new this year?
- Since Mike's one of the best damn food writers in the city, I
take lots of time to pick his brain on a handful of Chicago
eateries. I ask him to zoom in on kickass places to eat when on a
super tight budget.
- How do you identify a good Mexican place? A good clue is if it
says "heche a mano."
- Mike's living a fantasy life, involving housemaids and
- Chicago "date night" restaurant recommendations.